This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
We report on two patients with acute human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection, who developed an infectious mononucleosis-like clinical episode with thrombocytopenia and granulocytopenia. In both cases we detected the presence of IgG antigranulocyte antibodies and in one case the presence of IgG, IgM and IgA antiplatelet antibodies. The mechanisms of these cytopenias are discussed. The association between such autoimmune cytopenias and acute HIV infection has not been previously reported.
We suggest testing for HIV seroconversion in patients with a seronegative infectious mononucleosis-like syndrome belonging to groups with a high risk for HIV infection.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Infection
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Hematological abnormalities in the acquired immune deficiency syndrome.Am J Med. 1984; 77: 224-228
- Autoimmune thrombocytopenia in homosexual men.Ann Intern Med. 1982; 96: 714-717
- Immune neutropenia in homosexual men.Lancet. 1985; : 217-218
- Target platelet antigen in homosexual men with immune thrombocytopenia.New Engl J Med. 1985; 313: 1375-1380
- Acute AIDS retrovirus infection.Lancet. 1985; i: 504-537
- Primary human T-lymphotropic virus type III infection.Ann Intern Med. 1985; 103: 880-883
- Antiplatelet antibodies in primary infection by human immunodeficiency virus.Ann Intern Med. 1987; 106: 333
- On the mechanism of thrombocytopenia purpura in sexually active homosexual men.New Engl J Med. 1984; 311: 635-659
- Incidence and mechanism of neutropenia and thrombocytopenia in patients with human immunodeficiency virus infection.Br J Haematol. 1987; 66: 337-340
- Idiopathic neutropenia in homosexual men.Lancet. 1985; i: 936
- Idiopathic neutropenia in homosexual men.Lancet. 1985; i: 936-937
- Thrombocytopenia due to defective platelet production.in: Wolvey W Platelet disorders. W. B. Saunders, Antwerp1983: 23-38
Accepted: August 12, 1988
© 1989 The British Society for the Study of Infection. Published by Elsevier Inc.