This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Cryptococcosis and aspergillosis in immunocompromised patients are extremely difficult clinical conditions to manage and treatment with available antifungal drugs often fails. Itraconazole, R-51211, Janssen Pharmaceutica, a new orally absorbed triazole, is a possible alternative drug which is potentially effective and nontoxic. Preliminary experience with 28 patients, eight with cryptococcosis and 20 with aspergillosis, is reported. Of these patients, 16 were immunocompromised (seven with the acquired immune-deficiency syndrome (AIDS), five heart transplant recipients and four with leukaemia or lymphoma). Overall, results of treatment were good (18 in remission, four markedly improved, four moderately improved and two failed). Prevention of relapses of cryptococcosis was obtained in all patients with AIDS on long-term itraconazole monotherapy (3 mg/kg). Treatment of invasive aspergillosis required a higher dosage (about 5 mg/kg) and prolonged administration. Besides its efficacy this antifungal agent allowed outpatient management.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Infection
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Aspergillosis and other systemic mycoses.JAMA. 1979; 242: 1631-1635
- Invasive aspergillosis.in: Progress in early diagnosis and treatment. Am J Med. 71. 1981: 571-577
- Infection in cardiac transplantation.J Heart Transplant. 1983; 3: 75-90
- (Abstract 804)Cryptococcus infections in patients with the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome.in: 24th Interscience conference on antimicrobial agents and chemotherapy. American Society for Microbiology, London1984
- Cryptococcal disease in patients with the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome.in: Diagnostic features and outcome of treatment. Ann Intern Med. 104. 1986: 234-240
- Nouveaux antimycosiques: Activité in vitro et in vivo.Bull Soc Fr Mycol Méd. 1985; 14: 131-140
- Basic medical information brochure. Janssen Pharmaceutica, Washington, DC1986 (5th ed.)
- Experience with itraconazole in deep mycoses in Northern Italy.Mykosen. 1987; 30: 233-244
- New centrifugation blood culture device.J Clin Microbiol. 1978; 7: 52-54
- Milieu sélectif pour l'isolement de Cryptococcus neoformans des expectoration à flore levuriforme mixte.Bull Soc Fr Mycol Méd. 1974; 3: 189-194
- In vitro activity of 5-fluoro cytosine against Candida and Torulopsis species.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1973; 3: 9-14
- The spectrum of pulmonary disease caused by aspergilli.in: Proceedings of the 2nd symposium on topics in mycology: Aspergillus and aspergillosis. Janssen Pharmaceutica, Beerse, Belgium1987: 62
- Orthotopic heart transplantation: Initial clinical experience at the University of Padova.J Heart Transplant. 1986; 5: 50-51
- Trapianto cardiaco a Bergamo: 7 mesi di esperienza.Arch Chirurgia Toracica. 1986; 8: 3-4
- Determination of itraconazole in plasma and in animal tissue by high-performance liquid chromatography.J Chromatogr Biomed Appl. 1987; 413: 332-337
- Comparison of itraconazole and fluconazole in treatment of cryptococcal meningitis and candida pyelonephritis in rabbits.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1986; 29: 579-583
- La cryptococcose expérimentale et son traitement.in: Dermatotropisme de Cryptococcus neoformans. Bull Soc Fr Mycol Méd. 15. 1986: 31-44
- Tolerance to and efficacy of itraconazole in treatment of systemic mycoses: Preliminary results.Rev Infect Dis. 1987; 9: S87-S93
- Developments in the treatment of aspergilloma.in: Proceedings of the 2nd Symposium on topics in mycology: Aspergillus and aspergillosis. Janssen Pharmaceutica, Antwerp1987: 99-101
- Interaction of cyclosporin and itraconazole.Lancet. 1987; ii: 282
- Time course of cyclosporin/itraconazole interaction.Lancet. 1987; ii: 1335-1336
Accepted: June 17, 1988
© 1989 The British Society for the Study of Infection. Published by Elsevier Inc.