Tuberculosis (TB) is a communicable disease that continues a significant threat to global public health threats, and is one of the leading causes of death worldwide. The World Health Organization (WHO) has estimated that in 2021, TB caused the deaths of 1.6 million people globally, with an estimated 191,000 (range 119,000–264,000) deaths occurred due to multidrug-resistant or rifampicin-resistant tuberculosis (MDR/RR-TB).
1A recent paper by Priti Kambli and colleagues highlights that C-reactive protein has good diagnostic accuracy for pulmonary TB among symptomatic adults.
- Global Tuberculosis Report 2022
World Health Organization, Geneva2022
2The emergence and outbreak of Mycobacterium tuberculosis (MTB) infections, especially MDR and RR strains, have created a need for improved detection tools to guide treatment options for patients. Nevertheless, there are certain differences in diagnostic efficiency, coverage of anti-TB drugs, and the corresponding drug-resistance gene loci among different diagnostic assay kits.
- Calderwood CJ
- Reeve BW
- Mann T
- Palmer Z
- Nyawo G
- Mishra H
- Ndlangalavu G
- Abubakar I
- Noursadeghi M
- Theron G
- Gupta RK
Clinical utility of C-reactive protein-based triage for presumptive pulmonary tuberculosis in South African adults.
J Infect. 2023; 86: 24-32
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Infection
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- World Health Organization, Geneva2022 (Licence: CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 IGO)
- Clinical utility of C-reactive protein-based triage for presumptive pulmonary tuberculosis in South African adults.J Infect. 2023; 86: 24-32
- Added value of comprehensive program to provide universal access to care for sputum smear-negative drug-resistant tuberculosis.China. Emerg Infect Dis. 2019; 25: 1289-1296
- Mutations inside rifampicin-resistance determining region of rpoB gene associated with rifampicin-resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis.J Infect Public Health. 2018; 11: 605-610
- Prediction of Mycobacterium tuberculosis drug resistance by nucleotide MALDI-TOF-MS.Int J Infect Dis. 2022; 121: 47-54
- Identifying isoniazid resistance markers to guide inclusion of high-dose isoniazid in tuberculosis treatment regimens.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2020; 26: 1332-1337
- Comparison on major gene mutations related to rifampicin and isoniazid resistance between Beijing and non-Beijing strains of mycobacterium tuberculosis: a systematic review and bayesian meta-analysis.Genes (Basel). 2022; : 13
- Comparison of metagenomic next-generation sequencing using cell-free DNA and whole-cell DNA for the diagnoses of pulmonary infections.Front Cell Infect Microbiol. 2022; 121042945
- The intracellular pathogen concept.Mol Microbiol. 2020; 113: 541-545
- High-resolution profiling of fetal DNA clearance from maternal plasma by massively parallel sequencing.Clin Chem. 2013; 59: 1228-1237
Published online: January 24, 2023
Accepted: January 18, 2023
© 2023 The British Infection Association. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.