- •Influenza vaccination reduced primary care presentations for ILI.
- •The pooled estimated reduction over 4 years was 24% (95%CI 11-34%).
- •Influenza vaccination also reduced antibiotic prescribing for ILI.
- •However, this was only observed in patients without comorbidities and aged 40-65yrs.
Abbreviations:ILI (Influenza-like illness), VE (Vaccine effectiveness)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Influenza.BMJ (Clinical research ed). 2016; 355: i6258
- Estimates of global seasonal influenza-associated respiratory mortality: a modelling study.Lancet (London, England). 2018; 391: 1285-1300
Ghebrehewet S., MacPherson P., Ho A. Influenza. 2016; 355:i6258.
- Outpatient antibiotic prescribing for acute respiratory infections during influenza seasons.JAMA Netw Open. 2018; 1e180243
- Antibiotic Use Associated with Confirmed Influenza, Pertussis, and Nontyphoidal Salmonella Infections.Microb Drug Resistance (Larchmont, NY). 2020; 26: 1482-1490
- Antibiotic prescribing rates in the US ambulatory care setting for patients diagnosed with influenza, 1997-2001.Respir Med. 2004; 98: 1093-1101
- Population-based study on incidence, risk factors, clinical complications and drug utilisation associated with influenza in the United Kingdom. European journal of clinical microbiology & infectious diseases: official publication of the.Eur Soc Clin Microbiol. 2000; 19: 834-842
- Influenza-like illness and antimicrobial prescribing in Australian general practice from 2015 to 2017: a national longitudinal study using the MedicineInsight dataset.BMJ open. 2019; 9e026396
- Antibiotic Prescription Patterns Related to Influenza-Like Infection.Open Forum Infect Dis. 2016; 3
- Impact of vaccination on antibiotic usage: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Clinical microbiology and infection: the official publication of the European Society of.Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2019; 25: 1213-1225
- Effectiveness and cost-benefit of influenza vaccination of healthy working adults: a randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2000; 284: 1655-1663
- Effectiveness of live, attenuated intranasal influenza virus vaccine in healthy, working adults: a randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 1999; 282: 137-144
- Reducing Antibiotic Use in Ambulatory Care Through Influenza Vaccination.Clin Infect Dis. 2020; 71: e726-ee34
- Additive preventive effect of influenza and pneumococcal vaccines in the elderly: results of a large cohort study.Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2013; 9: 128-135
- Effect of vaccination on the use of antimicrobial agents: a systematic literature review.Ann Med. 2020; 52: 283-299
- Impact of influenza vaccination on amoxicillin prescriptions in older adults: a retrospective cohort study using primary care data.PLoS One. 2021; 16e0246156
- Data Resource Profile: MedicineInsight, an Australian national primary health care database.Int J Epidemiol. 2019; 48 (-h): 1741
- Herpes zoster vaccine coverage in Australia before and after introduction of a national vaccination program.Vaccine. 2020; 38: 3646-3652
Australian Bureau of Statistics. Patient Experiences in Australia: Summary of Findings, 2017-18, 2018.
- Prescribing Antimicrobial Drugs for Acute Gastroenteritis, Primary Care, Australia, 2013-2018.Emerg Infect Dis. 2021; 27: 1462-1467
Australian Bureau of Statistics. Socio-Economic Indexes for Areas, 2018.
- Socio-Economic Indexes for Areas. SEIFA provides measures of socio-economic conditions by geographic area.2018
- R: A lauguage and environment for statistical computing.2017 (Vienna, Austria)
- Cost-benefit evaluation of routine influenza immunisation in people 65-74 years of age.Health Technol Assess. 2003; 7: 1-65
- Burden of influenza-like illness and effectiveness of influenza vaccination among working adults aged 50-64 years. Clinical infectious diseases: an official publication of the Infectious Diseases Society of.America (NY). 2009; 48: 292-298
- Annual influenza vaccination in community-dwelling elderly individuals and the risk of lower respiratory tract infections or pneumonia.Arch Intern Med. 2006; 166: 1980-1985
- Management of acute COPD exacerbations in Australia: do we follow the guidelines?.ERJ open research. 2020; 6
Australian Government The Department of Health. Australian influenza surveillance report and activity updates.
- Low interim influenza vaccine effectiveness, Australia, 1 May to 24 September 2017.Euro surveillance: bulletin Europeen sur les maladies transmissibles = European communicable disease bulletin. 2017; 22
- Socio-demographic and health service factors associated with antibiotic dispensing in older Australian adults.PLoS One. 2019; 14e0221480
- Seasonal influenza vaccination policies in the 194 WHO Member States: the evolution of global influenza pandemic preparedness and the challenge of sustaining equitable vaccine access.Vaccine: X. 2021; 8100097