- •The first randomised trial of rapid syndromic molecular testing in pneumonia.
- •Molecular testing for pneumonia detected more pathogens.
- •Molecular results were generated much more rapidly than culture.
- •More patients had early appropriate antibiotic de-escalation and escalation.
- •There were no major differences in clinical and safety outcomes.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Global burden of 369 diseases and injuries in 204 countries and territories, 1990–2019: a systematic analysis for the global burden of disease study 2019.Lancet. 2020; 396: 1204-1222
- Surviving sepsis campaign guidelines for management of severe sepsis and septic shock.Crit Care Med. 2004; 32: 858-873
- Time to first antibiotic and mortality in adults hospitalised with community-acquired pneumonia: a matched-propensity analysis.Thorax. 2016; 71: 568-570
- Administration of first hospital antibiotics for community-acquired pneumonia: does timeliness affect outcomes?.Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2005; 18: 151-156
- Community-acquired pneumonia requiring hospitalization among U.S. adults.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 415-427
- Epidemiology, antibiotic therapy, and clinical outcomes in health care-associated pneumonia: a UK cohort study.Clin Infect Dis. 2011; 53: 107-113
- Diagnostic value of microscopic examination of gram-stained sputum and sputum cultures in patients with bacteremic pneumococcal pneumonia.Clin Infect Dis. 2004; 39: 165-169
- Impact of inappropriate antibiotic therapy on mortality in patients with ventilator-associated pneumonia and blood stream infection: a meta-analysis.J Crit Care. 2008; 23: 91-100
- Comprehensive molecular testing for respiratory pathogens in community-acquired pneumonia.Clin Infect Dis. 2016; 62: 817-823
- Multinational evaluation of the BioFire® FilmArray® Pneumonia plus Panel as compared to standard of care testing.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2021; 40: 1609-1622
- Clinical impact of molecular point-of-care testing for suspected COVID-19 in hospital (COV-19POC): a prospective, interventional, non-randomised, controlled study.Lancet Respir Med. 2020; 8: 1192-1200
- Clinical impact of a routine, molecular, point-of-care, test-and-treat strategy for influenza in adults admitted to hospital (FluPOC): a multicentre, open-label, randomised controlled trial.Lancet Respir Med. 2021; 9: 419-429
- Routine molecular point-of-care testing for respiratory viruses in adults presenting to hospital with acute respiratory illness (ResPOC): a pragmatic, open-label, randomised controlled trial.Lancet Respir Med. 2017; 5: 401-411
Tackling drug-resistant infections globally: final report and recommendations chaired by Jim O'Neill. Available at https://amr-review.org/sites/default/files/160525_Finalpaper_withcover.pdf. Accessed February 12, 2019.
- Clinical evaluation of a semi-quantitative multiplex molecular assay for the identification of bacteria, viruses and fungi in lower respiratory specimens.in: Proceedings of the Poster at Clinical Virology Symposium 2017. 2021 (Available at)Accessed December 17)
- Management of adults with hospital-acquired and ventilator-associated pneumonia: 2016 clinical practice guidelines by the infectious diseases society of america and the american thoracic society.Clin Infect Dis. 2016; 63: e61-111
- Multicenter evaluation of the biofire filmarray pneumonia/pneumonia plus panel for detection and quantification of agents of lower respiratory tract infection.J Clin Microbiol. 2020; 58
- Biomarker-guided antibiotic stewardship in suspected ventilator-associated pneumonia (VAPrapid2): a randomised controlled trial and process evaluation.Lancet Respir Med. 2020; 8: 182-191
- Use of procalcitonin to reduce patients’ exposure to antibiotics in intensive care units (PRORATA trial): a multicentre randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2010; 375: 463-474
- Efficacy and safety of procalcitonin guidance in reducing the duration of antibiotic treatment in critically ill patients: a randomised, controlled, open-label trial.Lancet Infect Dis. 2016; 16: 819-827