- •Prosthetic joint infection is a devastating complication of arthroplasty.
- •The distribution of bacterial species varies according to time of occurrence.
- •Empirical antibiotic therapy should target Gram-negative bacilli in all categories.
- •Piperacillin/tazobactam-vancomycin is an appropriate empirical antibiotic therapy.
- •The empirical antibiotic therapy must be tailored to local epidemiology.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Prosthetic joint infection.Clin Microbiol Rev. 2014; 27: 302‑45
- Prosthetic joint infections: clinical management, diagnosis, and treatment.Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2019; 32: 102‑12
Santé publique France. (page consultée le 14/06/2021). Surveillance des infections du site opératoire dans les établissements de santé: réseau ISO-Raisin, France. Résultats 2017, [en ligne]. https://www.santepubliquefrance.fr/docs/surveillance-des-infections-du-site-operatoire-dans-les-etablissements-de-sante-reseau-iso-raisin-france.-resultats-2017
- Diagnosis and management of prosthetic joint infection: clinical practice guidelines by the Infectious Diseases Society of America.Clin Infect Dis. 2013; 56: e1‑25
- The right time to safely re-evaluate empirical antimicrobial treatment of hip or knee prosthetic joint infections.J Clin Med. 2019; 8: 2113
- Outcome and predictors of treatment failure in total hip/knee prosthetic joint infections due to Staphylococcus aureus.Clin Infect Dis. 2011; 53: 334‑40
- Early onset prosthetic hip and knee joint infection: treatment and outcomes in Victoria, Australia.J Hosp Infect. 2012; 82: 248‑53
- Recommendations for bone and joint prosthetic device infections in clinical practice (prosthesis, implants, osteosynthesis).Med Mal Infect. 2010; 40: 185-211
- Executive summary of management of prosthetic joint infections. Clinical practice guidelines by the Spanish Society of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology (SEIMC).Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin. 2017; 35: 189‑95
- Empirical antibiotic therapy in prosthetic joint infections.Acta Orthop Belg. 2010; 76: 254‑9
- Guiding empirical antibiotic therapy in orthopaedics: the microbiology of prosthetic joint infection managed by debridement, irrigation and prosthesis retention.J Infect. 2007; 55: 1‑7
- Prospective cohort study of the tolerability of prosthetic joint infection empirical antimicrobial therapy.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2018; 62
- Microbiologic epidemiology depending on time to occurrence of prosthetic joint infection: a prospective cohort study.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2019; 25: 353‑8
- Analysis of postoperative and hematogenous prosthetic joint-infection microbiological patterns in a large cohort.J Infect. 2018; 76: 328‑34
- Organism profile in periprosthetic joint infection: pathogens differ at two arthroplasty infection referral centers in Europe and in the United States.J Knee Surg. 2014; 27: 399‑406
- Microbiological aetiology, epidemiology, and clinical profile of prosthetic joint infections: are current antibiotic prophylaxis guidelines effective?.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2012; 56: 2386‑91
- The different microbial etiology of prosthetic joint infections according to route of acquisition and time after prosthesis implantation, including the role of multidrug-resistant organisms.J Clin Med. 2019; 8
- Microbiological epidemiology depending on time to occurrence of prosthetic joint infection [letter].Clin Microbiol Infect. 2020; 26: 260-261
- Microbiology of hip and knee periprosthetic joint infections: a database study.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2022; 28: 255‑9
- Clinical characteristics, etiology, and initial management strategy of newly diagnosed periprosthetic joint infection: a multicenter, prospective observational cohort study of 783 patients.Open Forum Infect Dis. 2020; 7: 14
- Prosthetic-joint infections.N Engl J Med. 2004; 351: 1645‑54
- Diagnosis and management of infection after total knee arthroplasty.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2003; (Suppl 1): S75-S80
- R: A Language and Environment For Statistical Computing.R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria2021
- Proposed empiric antibiotic therapy for prosthetic joint infections: an analysis of the prosthetic joint infection in Australia and New Zealand, Observational (PIANO) cohort.Intern Med J. 2022; 52: 322‑5
- Enterococcal periprosthetic joint infection: clinical and microbiological findings from an 8-year retrospective cohort study.BMC Infect Dis. 2019; 19: 1083
- Species and antimicrobial susceptibility testing of coagulase-negative staphylococci in periprosthetic joint infections.Epidemiol Infect. 2018; 146: 1771‑6
- Comparative effectiveness of vancomycin versus daptomycin for MRSA bacteremia with vancomycin MIC >1mg/L: a multicenter evaluation.Clin Ther. 2016; 38: 16‑30
- Daptomycin versus vancomycin as post-operative empirical antibiotic treatment for prosthetic joint infections: a case-control study.J Bone Jt Infect. 2019; 4: 72‑5
- The EBJIS definition of periprosthetic joint infection: a practical guide for clinicians.Bone Joint J. 2021; 103-B: 18‑25
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Evidence based clinical practice guideline for diagnosis and prevention of periprosthetic joint infections https://www.aaos.org/pjiguideline Published March 11, 2019.