- •This culture-based study provided unbiased evidence on incidence rates, emerging serotypes and genotypes, and antimicrobial susceptibility of pneumococcal disease after implementation of pediatric PCV13 immunization in Taiwan.
- •Pediatric national immunization of PCV13 has led to a reduction in the incidences of vaccine serotype pneumococcal disease including mucosal disease in children aged < 5 years and non-bacteremic pneumococcal pneumonia in adults.
- •Emerging non-vaccine serotypes were identified mainly in non-invasive mucosal disease among children. Rapid capsular switch, clonal expansion, and declined penicillin and ceftriaxone susceptibility in NVTs are concerns in the current conjugate vaccine era.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Estimating the burden of pneumococcal pneumonia among adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis of diagnostic techniques.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e60273https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0060273
- Invasive pneumococcal disease incidence in children and adults in France during the pneumococcal conjugate vaccine era: an interrupted time-series analysis of data from a 17-year national prospective surveillance study.Lancet Infect Dis. 2021; 21: 137-147https://doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(20)30165-1
- Comparative immunogenicity and efficacy of 13-valent and 7-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccines in reducing nasopharyngeal colonization: a randomized double-blind trial.Clin Infect Dis. 2013; 57: 952-962https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/cit428
- Characterization of Streptococcus pneumoniae detected in clinical respiratory tract samples in southern Sweden 2 to 4 years after introduction of PCV13.J Infect. 2021; 83: 190-196https://doi.org/10.1016/j,jinf.2021.05.031
- Serotype replacement in disease after pneumococcal vaccination.Lancet. 2011; 378: 1962-1973https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(10)62225-8
- Successful control of Streptococcus pneumoniae 19A replacement with a catch-up primary vaccination program in Taiwan.Clin Infect Dis. 2019; 69: 1581-1587https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/ciy1127
- Nationwide surveillance of paediatric invasive and non-invasive pneumococcal disease in Japan after the introduction of the 13-valent conjugated vaccine, 2015-2017.Vaccine. 2020; 38: 1818-1824https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vaccine.2019.12.022
- Sequential multiplex PCR approach for determining capsular serotypes of Streptococcus pneumoniae isolates.J Clin Microbiol. 2006; 44: 124-131https://doi.org/10.1128/JCM.44.1.124-131.2006
- Streptococcus pneumoniae type determination by multiplex polymerase chain reaction.J Korean Med Sci. 2011; 26: 971-978https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2011.26.8.971
- A multilocus sequence typing scheme for Streptococcus pneumoniae: identification of clones associated with serious invasive disease.Microbiology. 1998; 144: 3049-3060https://doi.org/10.1099/00221287-144-11-3049
- Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Susceptibility testing; 23th Informational Supplement M100–S23.Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute, Wayne, PA2013
- Systematic review of the indirect effect of pneumococcal conjugate vaccine dosing schedules on pneumococcal disease and colonization.Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2014; 33 (Suppl 2:S161‒71)https://doi.org/10.1097/INF.0000000000000084
- hospitalizations for pneumonia after a decade of pneumococcal vaccination.N Engl J Med. 2013; 369: 155-163https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1209165
- Effect of 13-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine on admissions to hospital 2 years after its introduction in the USA: a time series analysis.Lancet Respir Med. 2014; 2: 387-394https://doi.org/10.1016/S2213-2600(14)70032-3
- Indirect effect of 7-valent and 13-valent pneumococcal conjugated vaccines on pneumococcal pneumonia hospitalizations in elderly.PLoS One. 2019; 14e0209428https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0209428
- Indirect (herd) protection, following pneumococcal conjugated vaccines introduction: a systematic review of the literature.Vaccine. 2017; 35: 2882-2891https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vaccine.2017.04.032
- Use of chest radiography examination as a probe for pneumococcal conjugate vaccine impact on lower respiratory tract infections in young children.Clin Infect Dis. 2020; 71: 177-187https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/ciz768
- Making sense of differences in pneumococcal serotype replacement.Lancet Infect Dis. 2019; 19: e213-e220https://doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(18)30660-1
- Effect of use of 13-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine in children on invasive pneumococcal disease in children and adults in the USA: analysis of multisite, population-based surveillance.Lancet Infect Dis. 2015; 15: 301-309https://doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(14)71081-3
- Emergence of serogroup 15 Streptococcus pneumoniae of diverse genetic backgrounds following the introduction of pneumococcal conjugate vaccines in Hong Kong.Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2015; 81: 66-70https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diagmicrobio.2014.09.028
- High prevalence of antimicrobial resistance in non-vaccine serotypes of non-invasive/colonization isolates of Streptococcus pneumoniae: a cross-sectional study eight years after the licensure of conjugate vaccine in Japan.J Infect Public Health. 2020; 13: 1094-1100https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jiph.2020.04.012
- Genomic insight into the spread of meropenem-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae Spain23F-ST81, Taiwan.Emerg Infect Dis. 2020; 26: 711-720https://doi.org/10.3201/eid2604.190717
- Spread of meropenem-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae serotype 15A-ST63 clone in Japan, 2012-2014.Emerg Infect Dis. 2018; 24: 275-283https://doi.org/10.3201/eid2402.171268
- Pneumococcal lineages associated with serotype replacement and antibiotic resistance in childhood invasive pneumococcal disease in the post-PCV13 era: an international whole-genome sequencing study.Lancet Infect Dis. 2019; 19: 759-769https://doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(19)30297-X
- Evolving pneumococcal serotypes and sequence types in relation to high antibiotic stress and conditional pneumococcal immunization.Sci Rep. 2015; 5: 15843https://doi.org/10.1038/srep15843
- Rapid pneumococcal evolution in response to clinical interventions.Science. 2011; 331: 430-434https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1198545