- •We evaluated the impact of a zoster vaccination program on zoster incidence.
- •Within two years zoster incidence fell by 2.25/1000 per year in 70–79 year-olds.
- •In 2 years, we estimated 7000 zoster cases were prevented through the program.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Varicella-zoster virus.Clin Microbiol Rev. 1996; 9: 361
- Vaccination in the Elderly: what Can Be Recommended?.Drugs Aging. 2014; 31: 581-599
- What does epidemiology tell us about risk factors for herpes zoster?.Lancet Infect Dis. 2004; 4: 26-33
- Herpes zoster in older adults.Clin Infect Dis. 2001; 32: 1481-1486
- Increasing trends of herpes zoster in Australia.PLoS ONE. 2015; 10e0125025
- A Vaccine to Prevent Herpes Zoster and Postherpetic Neuralgia in Older Adults.N Engl J Med. 2005; 352: 2271-2284
- Efficacy of an Adjuvanted Herpes Zoster Subunit Vaccine in Older Adults.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 2087-2096
Australian Government Department of Health. National Immunisation Program Schedule. 2017 [cited 2022 16 January]. Available from: https://www.health.gov.au/health-topics/immunisation/immunisation-throughout-life/national-immunisation-program-schedule.
- Australian vaccine preventable disease epidemiological review series: varicella-zoster virus infections, 1998–2015.J Commun Dis Intell. 2016; 40: E189-EE93
- Evaluation of the effect of the herpes zoster vaccination programme 3 years after its introduction in England: a population-based study.Lancet Public Health. 2018; 3: e82-e90
NPS MedicineWise. MedicineInsight Data Book version 2.2. June 2019 [cited 2022 16 January]. Available from: https://www.nps.org.au/assets/NPS/pdf/MedicineInsight_databook_June-2019.pdf.
- Data Resource Profile: medicineInsight, an Australian national primary health care database.Int J Epidemiol. 2019; 48: 1741
- Herpes zoster vaccine coverage in Australia before and after introduction of a national vaccination program.Vaccine. 2020; 38: 3646-3652
- The Incidence of Herpes Zoster.Arch Intern Med. 1995; 155: 1605-1609
Australian Bureau of Statistics. Australian Statistical Geography Standard (ASGS). 2018 [cited 2022 16 January]. Available from: https://www.abs.gov.au/websitedbs/D3310114.nsf/home/Australian+Statistical+Geography+Standard+(ASGS).
Australian Bureau of Statistics. Socio-Economic Indexes for Areas (SEIFA) 2016. March 2018 [cited 2022 16 January]. Available from: https://www.ausstats.abs.gov.au/Ausstats/subscriber.nsf/0/756EE3DBEFA869EFCA258259000BA746/$File/SEIFA%202016%20Technical%20Paper.pdf.
- Segmented regression analysis of interrupted time series studies in medication use research.J Clin Pharm Ther. 2002; 27: 299-309
Australian Bureau of Statistics. 2016 Census. 2017 [cited 2022 16 January]. Available from: https://www.abs.gov.au/websitedbs/D3310114.nsf/Home/Assuring%20Census%20Data%20Quality.
The Royal Australian College of General Practitioners. Standards for general practices (4th edition). 2015 [cited 2022 16 January]. Available from: https://www.racgp.org.au/download/documents/Standards/standards4thedition.pdf.
- Risk factors for herpes zoster in a large cohort of unvaccinated older adults: a prospective cohort study.Epidemiol Infect. 2015; 143: 2871-2881
- Impact of a publicly funded herpes zoster immunization program on the burden of disease in Ontario, Canada: a population-based study.Clin Infect Dis. 2021; 72: 279-284
Public Health Agency of Canada. Vaccine uptake in Canadian adults: results from the 2016 Adult National Immunization Coverage Survey (aNICS). 2018 [cited 2022 16 January]. Available from: http://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2018/aspc-phac/HP40-222-2018-eng.pdf.
National Centre for Immunisation Research and Surveillance. Exploratory analysis of the first 2 years of adult vaccination data recorded on AIR. 2019 [cited 2022 16 January]. Available from: http://ncirs.org.au/sites/default/files/2019-12/Analysis%20of%20adult%20vaccination%20data%20on%20AIR_Nov%202019.pdf.
- Long-term persistence of zoster vaccine efficacy.Clin Infect Dis. 2015; 60: 900-909