- •EBUS-TBNA is a useful tool in the diagnosis of intrathoracic tuberculous lymphadenopathy and other pathologies.
- •In higher tuberculosis incidence areas, EBUS-TBNA samples from all cases of undiagnosed lymphadenopathy should undergo mycobacterial culture.
- •Clinical suspicion of tuberculosis does not always correlate with a confirmed diagnosis of tuberculosis.
- •Obtaining culture confirmation remains important in an era of significant drug-resistance.
- Use of xpert MTB/RIF and xpert ultra in extrapulmonary tuberculosis.Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther. 2021; 19: 65-77
- Reversing the tide of the UK tuberculosis epidemic.Lancet. 2013; 382: 1311-1312
Public Health England. Tuberculosis in England:2020
. London, 2020.
- Endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration in diagnosing intrathoracic tuberculosis.Ann Thorac Surg. 2013; 96: 2021-2027
- Utility of EBUS-TBNA for diagnosis of mediastinal tuberculous lymphadenitis: a multicentre Australian experience.J Thorac Dis. 2015; 7: 439-448
- British thoracic society guideline for advanced diagnostic and therapeutic flexible bronchoscopy in adults.Thorax. 2011; 66: iii1
- The diagnostic accuracy of endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration (EBUS-TBNA) in mediastinal tuberculous lymphadenitis.Turk J Med Sci. 2017; 47: 1874-1879
- Diagnostic efficacy and safety of endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration in intrathoracic tuberculosis: a meta-analysis.J Ultrasound Med. 2015; 34: 1645-1650
- Use of endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration (EBUS-TBNA) in the diagnosis of granulomatous mediastinal lymphadenopathy.Ann Acad Med Singap. 2014; 43: 250-254
- Utility of endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration in patients with tuberculous intrathoracic lymphadenopathy: a multicentre study.Thorax. 2011; 66: 889-893
- Endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration in diagnosing intrathoracic tuberculous lymphadenitis.Med Ultrason. 2015; 17: 333-338
- EBUS-TBNA in the rapid microbiological diagnosis of drug-resistant mediastinal tuberculous lymphadenopathy.ERJ Open Res. 2019; 5https://doi.org/10.1183/23120541.00008-2019
- Combination of endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration with standard bronchoscopic techniques enhanced the diagnosis yields of pulmonary tuberculosis patients with lymphadenopathy.Panminerva Med. 2013; 55: 363-370
Public Health England. (September 2019) Tuberculosis in London: Annual review (2018 data), 2019. Public Health England: (London).
Public Health England. (2018). Investigation of specimens for Mycobacterium species. UK Standards for Microbiology Investigations. B 40 Issue 7.2.
Office for National Statistics. 2011 Census 2011 [accessed 5th March] 2021. Available from: https://www.nomisweb.co.uk/census/2011/ks201uk.
- Extraspinal articular tuberculosis: an 11-year retrospective study of demographic features and clinical outcomes in East London.J Infect. 2020; 81: 383-389
- Role of EBUS-TBNA in the diagnosis of tuberculosis and sarcoidosis.J Cytol. 2019; 36: 128-130
- Endobronchial ultrasound elastography for the prediction of malignant intrathoracic lymph nodes during EBUS-TBNA.Eur Respir J. 2016; 48: PA2045
- Adequacy criteria of rapid on-site evaluation for endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration: a simple algorithm to assess the adequacy of Rose.Ann Thorac Surg. 2016; 101: 444-450
- Guideline for the acquisition and preparation of conventional and endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration specimens for the diagnosis and molecular testing of patients with known or suspected lung cancer.Respiration. 2014; 88: 500-517
- Diagnostic accuracy of TB PCR in mediastinal lymph node TB in a UK centre using EBUS-TBNA.Eur Respir J. 2020; 56: 519
- MDR/XDR-TB management of patients and contacts: challenges facing the new decade. The 2020 clinical update by the global tuberculosis network.Int J Infect Dis. 2020; 92s: S15-s25
- Xpert(®) MTB/RIF assay for extrapulmonary tuberculosis and rifampicin resistance.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2018; (Art. No.: CD012768)https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD012768.pub2
- Performance of xpert MTB/RIF in the diagnosis of tuberculous mediastinal lymphadenopathy by endobronchial ultrasound.Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2014; 11: 392-396
- The additional role of xpert MTB/RIF in the diagnosis of intrathoracic tuberculous lymphadenitis.J Infect Chemother. 2017; 23: 381-384
- Towards elimination of HIV transmission, AIDS and HIV-related deaths in the UK.HIV Med. 2018; 19: 505-512
- Vitamin D and tuberculosis: where next?.J Intern Med. 2018; 284: 145-162