- •A strong link was found between occupancy and the level of environmental bacteria.
- •A rise in human microbiota-associated taxa was observed with occupancy.
- •Microbiota characteristics were similar between hospitals at equal occupancy.
- •Similar detection rate of Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus at both sites.
Abbreviations:MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus), VRE (vanB-positive vancomycin-Resistant Enterococci), oRAH (old Royal Adelaide Hospital), nRAH (new Royal Adelaide Hospital), MRO (Multi-resistant organisms), NMDS (Nonmetric multidimensional scaling), PERMANOVA (permutational multivariate analysis of variance), PERMDISP (homogeneity of multivariate dispersions), IQR (interquartile range), qPCR (quantitative PCR)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Infection
- Humans differ in their personal microbial cloud.PeerJ. 2015; 3: e1258
- Longitudinal analysis of microbial interaction between humans and the indoor environment.Science. 2014; 345: 1048-1052
- Human occupancy as a source of indoor airborne bacteria.PLoS ONE. 2012; 7: e34867
- Interconnected microbiomes and resistomes in low-income human habitats.Nature. 2016; 533: 212-216
- Bacterial contamination of inanimate surfaces and equipment in the intensive care unit.J Intensive Care. 2015; 3: 54
- Temporal variations in bacterial community diversity and composition throughout intensive care unit renovations.Microbiome. 2020; 8 (Jun): 86
- Exploring the hospital microbiome by high-resolution 16S rRNA profiling.Int J Mol Sci. 2019 Jun 25; 20: 3099
- Bacterial colonization and succession in a newly opened hospital.Sci Transl Med. 2017; 9: eaah6500
- Cartography of opportunistic pathogens and antibiotic resistance genes in a tertiary hospital environment.Nat. Med. 2020; 26: 941-951
- Hospital microbiome variations as analyzed by high-throughput sequencing.Omics. 2019; 23: 426-438
- Hospital-associated microbiota and implications for nosocomial infections.Trends Mol Med. 2015; 21 (Jul): 427-432
Hospitalstays. New royal adelaide hospital: how NRAH differs from old RAH, with new models of care, advanced technology 2019. Available from: https://www.hospitalstays.com.au/accommodation/General/new-royal-adelaide-hospital-how-nrah-differs-from-old-rah-with-new-models-of-care-advanced-technology.Accessed November 2020.
- Impact of long-term erythromycin therapy on the oropharyngeal microbiome and resistance gene reservoir in non-cystic fibrosis.Bronchiectasis. 2018; 3 (mSphere): e00103-e00118
- Sample storage conditions significantly influence faecal microbiome profiles.Sci Rep. 2015; 5: 16350
- Reproducible, interactive, scalable and extensible microbiome data science using QIIME 2.Nat. Biotechnol. 2019; 37: 852-857
- DADA2: high-resolution sample inference from Illumina amplicon data.Nat. Methods. 2016; 13: 581-583
- Determination of bacterial load by real-time PCR using a broad-range (universal) probe and primers set.Microbiol (Read). 2002; 148: 257-266
- Development of a real-time staphylococcus aureus and MRSA (SAM-) PCR for routine blood culture.J Microbiol Methods. 2007; 68: 296-302
- New real-time PCR assay for rapid detection of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus directly from specimens containing a mixture of staphylococci.J Clin Microbiol. 2004; 42: 1875-1884
- Where is the strength of evidence? A review of infection prevention and control guidelines.J Hosp Infect. 2020; 105: 242-251
- Bacterial diversity among four healthcare-associated institutes in Taiwan.Sci Rep. 2017; 7: 8230
- Introduction of NGS in environmental surveillance for healthcare-associated infection control.Microorganisms. 2019; 7: 708
- Molecular epidemiology of enterococcal bacteremia in Australia.J Clin Microbiol. 2014; 52: 897-905
Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care (ACSQHC). AURA 2019: third Australian report on antimicrobial use and resistance in human health. Available from: https://www.safetyandquality.gov.au/publications-and-resources/resource-library/aura-2019-third-australian-report-antimicrobial-use-and-resistance-human-health. Accessed November 2020.
- Environmental contamination makes an important contribution to hospital infection.J Hosp Infect. 2007; 65: 50-54
- Controlling methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in a hospital and the role of hydrogen peroxide decontamination: an interrupted time series analysis.BMJ Open. 2014; 4e004522
- Time-series analysis of health care–associated infections in a new hospital with all private rooms.JAMA Intern Med. 2019; 179: 1501-1506