- •This US study assessed S. pneumoniae (Sp) antimicrobial nonsusceptibility in adults with invasive/noninvasive pneumonia Study period under investigation was 2009-2017.
- •13-valent conjugate vaccine (PCV13) implementation was followed by reductions in Sp antimicrobial nonsusceptibility.
- •PCV13 programs can be a tool against the global threat of antimicrobial resistance.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Biological and epidemiological features of antibiotic-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae in pre- and post-conjugate vaccine eras: a United States perspective.Clin Microbiol Rev. 2016; 29: 525-552
- Understanding the evolution of antibiotic-nonsusceptible pneumococcal nasopharyngeal colonization following pneumococcal conjugate vaccines implementation in young children.Clin Infect Dis. 2018; (Epub ahead of print])
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Antibiotic resistance threats in the United States, 2013. 2013; https://www.cdc.gov/drugresistance/threat-report-2013/pdf/ar-threats-2013-508.pdf. Accessed August 12, 2019.
- Global emergence and population dynamics of divergent serotype 3 CC180 pneumococci.PLoS Pathog. 2018; 14e1007438
- Introduction and proliferation of multidrug-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae serotype 19A clones that cause acute otitis media in an unvaccinated population.J Infect Diseases. 2009; 199: 776-785
- The importance of antimicrobial resistance monitoring worldwide and the origins of SENTRY Antimicrobial Surveillance Program.Open Forum Infect Dis. 2019; 6: S1-S4
- Infectious Diseases Society of America/American Thoracic Society consensus guidelines on the management of community-acquired pneumonia in adults.Clin Infect Dis. 2007; 44: S27-S72
- A specific polymerase chain reaction test for the identification of Streptococcus pneumoniae.Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2011; 70: 45-53
- Noninvasive Streptococcus pneumoniae serotypes recovered from hospitalized adult patients in the United States (2009-2012).Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2015; 59: 5595-5601
- National center for biotechnology information.Basic Local Alignment Search Tool. 2019; 18 (Accessed February)
- Whole genome sequencing of Streptococcus pneumoniae: development, evaluation and verification of targets for serogroup and serotype prediction using an automated pipeline.PeerJ. 2016; 4: e2477
- Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute. Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing.Twenty-Fourth Informational Supplement. CSLI document M100-S24. Wayne, PA, 2014
Royston P.PTREND: stata module for trend analysis for proportions. 2014; https://econpapers.repec.org/software/bocbocode/s426101.htm. Accessed June 6, 2019.
- Prevention of antibiotic-nonsusceptible Streptococcus pneumoniae with conjugate vaccines.J Infect Dis. 2012; 205: 401-411
- Emerging Streptococcus pneumoniae strains colonizing the nasopharynx in children after 13-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccination in comparison to the 7-valent era, 2006-2015.Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2016; 35: 901-906
- Prevention of antibiotic-nonsusceptible invasive pneumococcal disease with the 13-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine.Clin Infect Dis. 2016; 62: 1119-1125
- Pneumococcal lineages associated with serotype replacement and antibiotic resistance in childhood invasive pneumococcal disease in the post-PCV13 era: an international whole-genome sequencing study.Lancet Infect Dis. 2019; 19: 759-769
- Streptococcus pneumoniae serotype 19A: worldwide epidemiology.Expert Rev Vaccines. 2017; 16: 1007-1027
- Characteristics of Streptococcus pneumoniae serotype 19A isolates from children in the pre and post Conjugate Vaccine Era. Single center experience 1986-2015.Vaccine. 2018; 36: 5245-5250
- Using whole genome sequencing to identify resistance determinants and predict antimicrobial resistance phenotypes for year 2015 invasive pneumococcal disease isolates recovered in the United States.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2016; 22 (1002 e1001-1002 e1008)
- Shifting genetic structure of invasive serotype 19A pneumococci in the United States.J Infect Dis. 2011; 203: 1360-1368
- Comparative immunogenicity and efficacy of 13-valent and 7-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccines in reducing nasopharyngeal colonization: a randomized double-blind trial.Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2013; 57: 952-962
- Polysaccharide conjugate vaccine against pneumococcal pneumonia in adults.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 1114-1125
- Effectiveness of 13-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine against hospitalization for community-acquired pneumonia in older US adults: a test-negative design.Clin Infect Dis. 2018; 67: 1498-1506
- A post-hoc analysis of serotype-specific vaccine efficacy of 13-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine against clinical community acquired pneumonia from a randomized clinical trial in the Netherlands.Vaccine. 2019; 37: 4147-4154
- Genome-wide analysis of Streptococcus pneumoniae serogroup 19 in the decade after the introduction of pneumococcal conjugate vaccines in Australia.Sci Rep. 2018; 8: 16969
- The 23-valent pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine. Part II. A cost-effectiveness analysis for invasive disease in the elderly in England and Wales.Eur J Epidemiol. 2004; 19: 365-375
- Efficacy of 23-valent pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine in preventing community-acquired pneumonia among immunocompetent adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized trials.Vaccine. 2016; 34: 1496-1503
- Emergence of multidrug-resistant pneumococcal serotype 35B among children in the United States.J Clin Microbiol. 2017; 55: 724-734
- Tackling Drug-Resistant Infections Globally: Final Report and Recommendations.Wellcome Trust, HM Government, London, England2016 (May 19,)
- The impact of routine childhood immunization with higher-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccines on antimicrobial-resistant pneumococcal diseases and carriage: a systematic literature review.Expert Rev Vaccines. 2019; 18: 1069-1089
- Genome-wide dissection of globally emergent multi-drug resistant serotype 19A Streptococcus pneumoniae.BMC Genomics. 2009; 10: 642
- Comparison of the impact of pneumococcal conjugate vaccine 10 or pneumococcal conjugate vaccine 13 on invasive pneumococcal disease in equivalent populations.Clin Infect Dis. 2017; 65: 1780-1789