- •Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) threatens the health of people, and there is no proven pharmacological treatment.
- •Although corticosteroids were widely used during outbreaks of severe acute respiratory syndrome and Middle East respiratory syndrome, their efficacy remains highly controversial.
- •Patients with severe conditions are more likely to require corticosteroids. However, corticosteroid use may lead to increased mortality and serious adverse reactions.
- •Therefore, corticosteroids should be used with caution in the treatment of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
Purchase one-time access:Academic and Personal
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- A novel coronavirus from patients with pneumonia in China, 2019.N Engl J Med. 2020 Feb 20; 382 (PubMed PMID: 31978945. Epub 2020/01/25. eng): 727-733
Gorbalenya A.E., Baker S.C., Baric R.S., de Groot R.J., Drosten C., Gulyaeva A.A., et al. Severe acute respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus: The species and its viruses – a statement of the Coronavirus Study Group. 2020:2020.02.07.937862.
WHO. WHO Director-General's remarks at the media briefing on 2019-nCoV on 11 February2020. Available from:https://www.who.int/zh/dg/speeches/detail/who-director-general-s-remarks-at-the-media-briefing-on-2019-ncov-on-11-february-2020.
He F., Deng Y., Li W.Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19): what we know?J Med Virol. 2020 Mar 14. PubMed PMID: 32170865. Epub 2020/03/15. eng.
- Clinical features of patients infected with 2019 novel coronavirus in Wuhan, China.Lancet (London, England). 2020 Feb 15; 395 (PubMed PMID: 31986264. Epub 2020/01/28. eng): 497-506
- A familial cluster of pneumonia associated with the 2019 novel coronavirus indicating person-to-person transmission: a study of a family cluster.Lancet (London, England). 2020 Feb 15; 395 (PubMed PMID: 31986261. Epub 2020/01/28. eng): 514-523
WHO. WHO Director-General's opening remarks at the Mission briefing on COVID-19 - 19 March 2020. Available from: https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/detail/who-director-general-s-opening-remarks-at-the-mission-briefing-on-covid-19---19-march-2020.
- Drug treatment options for the 2019-new coronavirus (2019-nCoV).Biosci Trends. 2020; 14 (PubMed PMID: 31996494. Epub 2020/01/31. eng): 69-71
- One hormone, two actions: anti- and pro-inflammatory effects of glucocorticoids.NeuroImmuno Modul. 2015; 22 (PubMed PMID: 25227506. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC4243162. Epub 2014/09/18. eng): 20-32
- Corticosteroid treatment of severe acute respiratory syndrome in Hong Kong.J Infect. 2007; 54 (PubMed PMID: 16542729. Epub 2006/03/15. eng): 28-39
- Corticosteroid therapy for critically ill patients with middle east respiratory syndrome.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2018; 197 (PubMed PMID: 29161116. eng): 757-767
- Critical evaluation of the Newcastle-Ottawa scale for the assessment of the quality of nonrandomized studies in meta-analyses.Eur J Epidemiol. 2010; 25 (PubMed PMID: 20652370. Epub 2010/07/24. eng): 603-605
- Clinical characteristics of 138 hospitalized patients with 2019 novel coronavirus-infected pneumonia in Wuhan, China.JAMA. 2020; (PubMed PMID: 32031570. eng)e201585
- Clinical predictors of mortality of middle east respiratory syndrome coronavirus (mers-cov) infection: a cohort study.Travel Med Infect Dis. May-Jun 2019; 29 (PubMed PMID: 30872071. Epub 2019/03/11. eng): 48-50
- [Dose of glucocorticosteroids in the treatment of severe acute respiratory syndrome].J Southern Medical University. 2009; 29 (PubMed PMID: 19923088. Epub 2009/11/20. chi): 2284-2287
- Treatment of severe acute respiratory syndrome with glucosteroids: the Guangzhou experience.Chest. 2006; 129 (PubMed PMID: 16778260. eng): 1441-1452
- [Analysis of corticosteroid therapy in 453 patients with SARS].Chin J Hospital Pharm. 2005; : 58-59
- [Evaluating the effects of different treatments on severe acute respira tory syndrome].Shanxi Med J. 2005; : 270-272
- [Retrospective analysis of the glucocorticoid treatment in 409 patients with severe acute respiratory syndrome].Chin J General Pract. 2005; : 193-194
- The use of corticosteroid as treatment in SARS was associated with adverse outcomes: a retrospective cohort study.J Infect. 2005; 51 (PubMed PMID: 16038758. eng): 98-102
- [Investigation of adverse reactions to glucocorticods in 460 SARS patients].Adv Drug React J. 2004; : 78-82
- [Effects and adverse drug reactions of mtrisone in the treatment of patients with severe acute respiratory syndrome].Chin J Clin Pharmacol Therap. 2004; : 992-996
- [A clinical investigation in 83 cases with severe acute respiratory syndrome].Chin J Respir Critic Care Med. 2003; : 15-17
- [Adverse effects associated with corticosteroids therapy in 57 SARS case].Adv Drug React J. 2003; : 374-377
- Clinical evidence does not support corticosteroid treatment for 2019-nCoV lung injury.Lancet (London, England). 2020; 395 (PubMed PMID: 32043983. Epub 2020/02/12. eng): 473-475
- On the use of corticosteroids for 2019-nCoV pneumonia.Lancet (London, England). 2020; 395 (PubMed PMID: 32122468. Epub 2020/03/04. eng): 683-684
- Pathological findings of COVID-19 associated with acute respiratory distress syndrome.The Lancet Respiratory medicine. 2020 February 18; (PubMed PMID: 32085846. Epub 2020/02/23. eng)
- Role of glucocorticoids on inflammatory response in nonimmunosuppressed patients with pneumonia: a pilot study.Eur Respir J. 1999; 14 (PubMed PMID: 10489855. Epub 1999/09/18. eng): 218-220
- Glucocorticoid-mediated control of the activation and clonal deletion of peripheral T cells in vivo.J Exp Med. 1993; 177 (PubMed PMID: 8478606. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC2191024. Epub 1993/05/01. eng): 1239-1246
- Preexisting influenza-specific CD4+ T cells correlate with disease protection against influenza challenge in humans.Nat Med. 2012; 18 (PubMed PMID: 22286307. Epub 2012/01/31. eng): 274-280
- Effects of early corticosteroid treatment on plasma SARS-associated coronavirus RNA concentrations in adult patients.J Clin Virol. 2004; 31 (PubMed PMID: 15494274. eng): 304-309
- Persistence and clearance of viral RNA in 2019 novel coronavirus disease rehabilitation patients.Chin Med J (Engl). 2020; (10.1097/CM9.0000000000000774. PubMed PMID: 32118639. eng)
- SARS: systematic review of treatment effects.PLoS Med. 2006; 3 (PubMed PMID: 16968120. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC1564166. Epub 2006/09/14. eng): e343
- The effect of corticosteroids on mortality of patients with influenza pneumonia: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Crit Care. 2019; 23 (PubMed PMID: 30917856. eng): 99-
- Steroid therapy and the risk of osteonecrosis in SARS patients: a dose-response meta-analysis.Osteoporosis Int. 2017; 28 (PubMed PMID: 27844132. Epub 2016/11/16. eng): 1027-1034