- •Genome sequencing of 43 measles virus isolates from 10 Indian states sampled during 2009–2017.
- •MeV named strains for one D4 and two D8 isolates were identified based on N-450.
- •D4 isolates have non-standard genome length due to indels in M-F intergenic region.
- •Genotype-based temporal clustering devoid of geography-based monophyly was observed.
- •Observed variations may not impact antigenicity and support use of current vaccines.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Measles viruses.in: Knipe DM Howley PM 6th ed. Fields virology. 1. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia2007: 1551-1585
- Measles virus infection diminishes preexisting antibodies that offer protection from other pathogens.Science. 2019; 366: 599-606
- Incomplete genetic reconstitution of B cell pools contributes to prolonged immunosuppression after measles.Sci Immunol. 2019; 4 (pii:eaay6125)
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC). Progress towards Measles Elimination - South-East Asia Region, 2003-2013.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2015; 64: 613-617
World Health Organisation (WHO). 2019. Measles and Rubella Elimination by 2023 (URL:https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/327923/sea-rc72-r3-eng.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=yLast accessed: 27th Nov 2019)
- Progress towards Regional Measles Elimination -Worldwide, 2000-2017.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2018; 67: 1323-1329
- Philippines measles outbreak is deadliest yet as vaccine skepticism spurs disease comeback.BMJ. 2019; 364: l739
Press Information Bureau, Government of India. Prime Minister's Office03-July-201416:31 IST. http://pib.nic.in/newsite/PrintRelease.aspx?relid=106055. (accessed 12 August 2019).
- Commitment of measles elimination by 2020: challenges in India.Indian. Pediatr. 2015; 52: 103-106
- Measles virus nomenclature update: 2012.Wkly Epidemiol Rec. 2012; 87: 73-81
- Measles virus genotypes circulating in India, 2011-2015.J Med Virol. 2017; 89: 753-758
- Measles Virus Epitope Presentation by HLA: Novel Insights into Epitope Selection, Dominance, and Microvariation.Front Immunol. 2015; 6: 546
- Molecular evolution of haemagglutinin (H) gene in measles virus.Sci Rep. 2015; 5: 11648
- Origin of measles virus: divergence from rinderpest virus between the 11th and 12th centuries.Virol J. 2010; 7: 52
- Assessment of the Utility of Whole Genome Sequencing of Measles Virus in the Characterisation of Outbreaks.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0143081
- GenBank.Nucleic Acids Res. 2019; 47: D94-D99
- MeaslesNetIndia collaborators. Molecular epidemiology of measles in India, 2005-2010.J Infect Dis. 2011; 204: S403-S413
- Laboratory-based investigation of fever with rash cases in the Maharashtra State - India, 2014 to 2017.J Med Virol. 2019; 91: 972-978
- Global distribution of measles genotypes and measles molecular epidemiology.J Infect Dis. 2011; 204: S514-S523
- Genetic diversity of wildtype measles viruses and the global measles nucleotide surveillance database (MeaNS).World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland2015 ((URL:)Last accessed: 27th Nov 2019))
- RDP2: recombination detection and analysis from sequence alignments.Bioinformatics. 2005; 21: 260-262
- MAFFT online service: multiple sequence alignment, interactive sequence choice and visualization.Brief Bioinform. 2019; 20: 1160-1166
- jModelTest: phylogenetic model averaging.Mol Biol Evol. 2008; 25: 1253-1256
- Exploring the temporal structure of heterochronous sequences using TempEst (formerly Path-O-Gen).Virus Evol. 2016; 2 (vew007)
- Relaxed phylogenetics and dating with confidence.PLoS Biol. 2006; 4: e88
Rambaut A, Suchard MA, Xie D and Drummond AJ. 2014. Tracer v1.6.http://beast.bio.ed.ac.uk/Tracer
- Interactive tree of life (iTOL) v3: an online tool for the display and annotation of phylogenetic and other trees.Nucleic Acids Res. 2016; 44: W242-W245
- Gapped BLAST and PSI-BLAST: a new generation of protein database search programs.Nucleic Acids Res. 1997; 25: 3389-3402
- W-IQ-TREE: a fast online phylogenetic tool for maximum likelihood analysis.Nucleic Acids Res. 2016; 44: W232-W235
- Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data.Genetics. 2000; 155: 945-959
- Population structure and evolution of Rhinoviruses.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e88981
- LIAN 3.0: detecting linkage disequilibrium in multilocus data.Linkage Analysis. Bioinformatics. 2000; 16: 847-848
- DnaSP 6: DNA Sequence Polymorphism Analysis of Large Data Sets.Mol Biol Evol. 2017; 34: 3299-3302
- STRUCTURE HARVESTER: a website and program for visualizing STRUCTURE output and implementing the Evanno method.Conserv. Genet. Resour. 2012; 2: 359-361
- Datamonkey 2.0: A Modern Web Application for Characterizing Selective and Other Evolutionary Processes.Mol Biol Evol. 2018; 35: 773-777
- Datamonkey: rapid detection of selective pressure on individual sites of codon alignments.Bioinformatics. 2005; 21: 2531-2533
- MEGA X: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis across Computing Platforms.Mol Biol Evol. 2018; 35: 1547-1549
- Wild-type measles viruses with non-standard genome lengths.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e95470
- Measles virus genotype D4 strains with non-standard length M-F non-coding region circulated during the major outbreaks of 2011-2012 in Spain.PLoS One. 2018; 13e0199975
- Genetic characterisation of Measles virus variants identified during a large epidemic in Milan, Italy, March-December 2017.Epidemiol Infect. 2019; 147: e80
- Structure of the measles virus hemagglutinin bound to its cellular receptor SLAM.Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2011; 18: 135-141
- Structure of measles virus hemagglutinin bound to its epithelial receptor nectin-4.Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2013; 20: 67-72
- Structural Disorder within Paramyxoviral Nucleoproteins and Phosphoproteins in Their Free and Bound Forms: From Predictions to Experimental Assessment.Int J Mol Sci. 2015; 16: 15688-15726
- Detecting remote sequence homology in disordered proteins: discovery of conserved motifs in the N-termini of Mononegavirales phosphoproteins.PLoS One. 2012; 7: e31719
- Analysis of the neutralizing antibody response to the measles virus using synthetic peptides of the haemagglutinin protein.Scand J Immunol. 1993; 38: 463-471
- Heterogeneity of linear B cell epitopes of the measles virus fusion protein reacting with late convalescent sera.J Gen Virol. 1992; 73: 2211-2216
- The potential of immunization with synthetic peptides to overcome the immunosuppressive effect of maternal anti-measles virus antibodies in young mice.Immunology. 1994; 82: 16-21
- Immune and artificial selection in the haemagglutinin (H) glycoprotein of measles virus.J Gen Virol. 2001; 82: 2463-2474
- Increased positive selection pressure in persistent (SSPE) versus acute measles virus infections.J Gen Virol. 2002; 83: 1419-1430
- Crystal structure of measles virus hemagglutinin provides insight into effective vaccines.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007; 104: 19535-19540
- Measles Virus Hemagglutinin Protein Epitopes: The Basis of Antigenic Stability.Viruses. 2016; 8: E216
- Antigenic Drift Defines a New D4 Subgenotype of Measles Virus.J Virol. 2017; 91: e00209-e00217
- Role of N-linked oligosaccharide chains in the processing and antigenicity of measles virus haemagglutinin protein.J Gen Virol. 1994; 75: 1043-1052
- Epitope dampening monotypic measles virus hemagglutinin glycoprotein results in resistance to cocktail of monoclonal antibodies.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e52306
World Health Organisation (WHO). 2019. Measles and Rubella Elimination by 2023(URL:https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/327923/sea-rc72-r3-eng.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=yLast accessed: 27th Nov 2019)
- The role of extended and whole genome sequencing for tracking transmission of measles and rubella viruses: report from the Global Measles and Rubella Laboratory Network meeting, 2017.Wkly Epidemiol Rec. 2018; 93: 55-59
- Evidence of recombination among early-vaccination era measles virus strains.BMC Evol Biol. 2005; 5: 52
World Health Organization [WHO] and Public Health England (PHE). 2019. Measles Nucleotide Surveillance (MeaNS) Database. (URL:http://www.who-measles.org/Public/Web_Front/main.phpLast accessed 27th November, 2019).
- MoRoNet Group. Measles in Italy: Viral strains and crossing borders.Int J Infect Dis. 2019; 79: 199-201
- Revealing true diversity of measles viruses circulating in India, 2012-17.J Infect. 2019; 79: 277-287
- STAT2 is a primary target for measles virus V protein-mediated alpha/beta interferon signaling inhibition.J Virol. 2008; 82: 8330-8338
- Mutational Analysis of Measles Virus Suggests Constraints on Antigenic Variation of the Glycoproteins.Cell Rep. 2015; 11: 1331-1338