- •The PRIOAM improved antifungal use in patients with hospital-acquired candidemia.
- •It resulted in a proportional reduction of antifungal consumption of 38.4%.
- •The most frequently prescribed antifungal agent was fluconazole.
- •The number of Candida spp. with antifungal resistance was remarkably low (4.7%).
- •The reduction in antifungal consumption was safe.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Hidden killers: human fungal infections.Sci Transl Med. 2012; 4: 165rv13
- Invasive candidiasis.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 1445-1456
- Invasive candidiasis.Infect Dis Clin North Am. 2016; 30: 103-124
- Multistate point-prevalence survey of health care-associated infections.N Engl J Med. 2014; 370: 1198-1208
- Geographic variations in species distribution and echinocandin and azole antifungal resistance rates among Candida bloodstream infection isolates: report from the sentry antimicrobial surveillance program (2008 to 2009).J Clin Microbiol. 2011; 49: 396-399
- Candidaemia in adult cancer patients: risks for fluconazole-resistant isolates and death.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2010; 65: 1042-1051
- Changes in incidence and antifungal drug resistance in candidemia: results from population-based laboratory surveillance in Atlanta and Baltimore, 2008–2011.Clin Infect Dis. 2012; 55: 1352-1361
- Recent exposure to caspofungin or fluconazole influences the epidemiology of candidemia: a prospective multicenter study involving 2,441 patients.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2011; 55: 532-538
- Antimicrobial-induced DNA damage and genomic instability in microbial pathogens.PLoS Pathog. 2015; 11e1004678
- The global problem of antifungal resistance: prevalence, mechanisms, and management.Lancet Infect Dis. 2017; 17: e383-e392
- Implementing an antibiotic stewardship program: guidelines by the infectious diseases society of America and the society for healthcare epidemiology of America.Clin Infect Dis. 2016; 62: e51-e77
- A systematic review of interventions and performance measures for antifungal stewardship programmes.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2018; 73: 297-305
- Global impact of an educational antimicrobial stewardship programme on prescribing practice in a tertiary hospital Centre.Clin Microbiol Infect Off Publ Eur Soc Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2014; 20: 82-88
- Long-Term impact of an educational antimicrobial stewardship program on hospital-acquired candidemia and multidrug-resistant bloodstream infections: a quasi-experimental study of interrupted time-series analysis.Clin Infect Dis Off Publ Infect Dis Soc Am. 2017; 65: 1992-1999
- ECIL-6 guidelines for the treatment of invasive candidiasis, aspergillosis and mucormycosis in leukemia and hematopoietic stem cell transplant patients.Haematologica. 2017; 102: 433-444
- Clinical practice guideline for the management of candidiasis: 2016 update by the infectious diseases society of America.Clin Infect Dis Off Publ Infect Dis Soc Am. 2016; 62: e1-50
WHOCollaborating center for drug statistics methodology. DDD definition and general considerations. 2016. Available at: https://www.whocc.no/ddd/
- Porta Miquel A dictionary of epidemiology. 6th ed. Oxford University Press, New York2014 (n.d.)
- Bloodstream infections after solid-organ transplantation.Virulence. 2016; 7: 329-340
- Incidence, risk factors, and long-term outcome of acute leukemia patients with early candidemia after allogeneic stem cell transplantation: a study by the acute leukemia and infectious diseases working parties of European society for blood and marrow transplantation.Clin Infect Dis. 2018; 67: 564-572
- Risk factors for albicans and non-albicans candidemia in the intensive care unit.Crit Care Med. 2008; 36: 1993-1998
- Risk factors for candidal bloodstream infections in surgical intensive care unit patients: the NEMIS prospective multicenter study. The national epidemiology of mycosis survey.Clin Infect Dis. 2001; 33: 177-186
- Sensititre YeastOne: YeastOne susceptibility.V1.8. TREK Diagnostic Systems, Cleveland, OH2012 (n.d.)
- Performance standards for antifungal susceptibility testing of yeasts; approved standard.1st ed. Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute, Wayne, PA2017 (CLSI document M60n.d.)
- Risk factors for fluconazole-resistant candidemia.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2010; 54: 3149-3154
- Impact on hospital mortality of catheter removal and adequate antifungal therapy in Candida spp. bloodstream infections.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2013; 68: 206-213
- Candidemias: análisis multicéntrico en 16 hospitales andaluces.Enfermedades Infecc Microbiol Clín. 2011; 29: 328-333
- In representation of A. baumannii eradication program. a multimodal intervention program to control a long-term Acinetobacter baumannii endemic in a tertiary care hospital.Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 2019; 8: 199https://doi.org/10.1186/s13756-019-0658-4
- Version 22.214.171.124. Statistical methodology and applications branch, surveillance research program.National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD2017 (n.d.)
- Package “segmented”.Biometrika. 2017; 58 (n.d.): 525-534
Team R.C. R: a language and environment for statistical computing 2013.
- ggplot2: Elegant graphics for data analysis.Springer, Verlag2009 (n.d.)
- Genetic basis for differential activities of fluconazole and voriconazole against Candida krusei.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2003; 47: 1213-1219
- Fluconazole-Resistant pathogens candida inconspicua and C. norvegensis: DNA sequence diversity of the rRNA intergenic spacer region, antifungal drug susceptibility, and extracellular enzyme production.Microbiol Immunol. 2004; 48: 761-766
- Micafungin versus liposomal amphotericin B for candidaemia and invasive candidosis: a phase III randomised double-blind trial.Lancet. 2007; 369: 1519-1527
- Anidulafungin versus fluconazole for invasive candidiasis.N Engl J Med. 2007; 356: 2472-2482
- Antimicrobial stewardship at a large tertiary care academic medical center: cost analysis before, during, and after a 7-year program.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2012; 33: 338-345
- Thammasat university antimicrobial stewardship team. impact of education and an antifungal stewardship program for candidiasis at a Thai tertiary care center.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2010; 31: 722-727
- Long-term effects of an antimicrobial stewardship programme at a tertiary-care teaching hospital.Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2015; 45: 262-267
- A non-compulsory stewardship programme for the management of antifungals in a university-affiliated hospital.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2013; 19: 56-61
- Antifungal stewardship in a tertiary-care institution: a bedside intervention.Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2015; 21: 492.e1-492.e9
- A 6-year antifungal stewardship programme in a teaching hospital.Infection. 2013; 41: 621-628
- Early prediction of Candida glabrata fungemia in nonneutropenic critically ill patients.Crit Care Med. 2010; 38: 826-830
- Resistance of Candida spp. to antifungal drugs in the ICU: where are we now?.Intensive Care Med. 2014; 40: 1241-1255
- ESCMID. this guideline was presented in part at ECCMID 2011. European society for clinical microbiology and infectious diseases. guideline for the diagnosis and management of Candida diseases 2012: non-neutropenic adult patients.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2012; 18: 19-37
- ESCMID* guideline for the diagnosis and management of Candida diseases 2012: adults with haematological malignancies and after haematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HCT).Clin Microbiol Infect. 2012; 18: 53-67
- European expert opinion on the management of invasive candidiasis in adults.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2011; 17: 1-12
- Antifungal stewardship in a tertiary hospital.Rev Iberoam Micol. 2015; 32: 209-213
- Durability of benefits of an outpatient antimicrobial stewardship intervention after discontinuation of audit and feedback.JAMA. 2014; 312: 2569-2570
- Effectiveness of an antifungal stewardship programme at a London teaching hospital 2010-16.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2019; 74: 234-241
- Variation in susceptibility of bloodstream isolates of Candida glabrata to fluconazole according to patient age and geographic location in the United States in 2001 to 2007.J Clin Microbiol. 2009; 47: 3185-3190
- Increasing echinocandin resistance in Candida glabrata: clinical failure correlates with presence of FKS mutations and elevated minimum inhibitory concentrations.Clin Infect Dis. 2013; 56: 1724-1732
- Epidemiology and risk factors for echinocandin nonsusceptible Candida glabrata bloodstream infections: data from a large multisite population-based candidemia surveillance program, 2008–2014.Open Forum Infect Dis. 2015; 2 (ofv163)
- Antimicrobial stewardship–the state of the art in 2011: focus on outcome and methods.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2012; 33: 331-337
- Improving the management of candidemia through antimicrobial stewardship interventions.Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2014; 78: 156-157