- •SM-VAP occurred lately after the onset of mechanichal ventilation.
- •Exposure to carbapenem and carboxy- or ureido-penicillin during the week before VAP and the severity of disease with respiratory and hematological failures were independent risk factors for the SM-VAP occurrence.
- •The prognosis of patients with SM-VAP was poor and not modified by the adequacy of antimicrobial therapy.
- •Antibiotics exposure the week before VAP and the severity of disease were independent risk factors for the SM-VAP occurrence.
Abbreviations:VAP (Ventilator–acquired pneumonia), ICU (intensive care unit), SM-VAP (Stenotrophomonas maltophilia ventilator–acquired pneumonia), Others-VAP (Others microorganisms ventilator–acquired pneumonia), Pyo-VAP (Pseudomonas aeruginosa ventilator–acquired pneumonia)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Stenotrophomonas maltophilia–the most worrisome threat among unusual non-fermentative gram-negative bacilli from hospitalized patients: a prospective multicenter study.J Infect. 2012; 64: 391-398
- Intensive care unit-acquired Stenotrophomonas maltophilia: incidence, risk factors, and outcome.Crit Care. 2006; 10: R143
- Stenotrophomonas maltophilia: an emerging opportunist human pathogen.Lancet Infect Dis. 2009; 9: 312-323
- Stenotrophomonas maltophilia - a low-grade pathogen with numerous virulence factors.Infect Dis. 2018; 13: 1-11
- Antimicrobial therapy for Stenotrophomonas maltophilia infections.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2007; 26: 229-237
- Monotherapy with fluoroquinolone or trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole for treatment of Stenotrophomonas maltophilia infections.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2014; 58: 176-182
- New strategies against Stenotrophomonas maltophilia: a serious worldwide intrinsically drug-resistant opportunistic pathogen.Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther. 2014; 12 (. Epub 2013 Dec 4): 1-4https://doi.org/10.1586/14787210.2014.864553
- Ventilator-associated pneumonia.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2002; 165: 867-903
- Ventilator-associated pneumonia due to carbapenem-resistant Gram-negative bacilli in an intensive care unit without carbapenemase-producing Enterobacteriaceae or epidemic Acinetobacter baumannii.Scand J Infect Dis. 2014; 46: 215-220
- Factors associated with mortality in patients with bloodstream infection and pneumonia due to Stenotrophomonas maltophilia.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2008; 27: 901-906
- Diagnostic and therapeutic management of nosocomial pneumonia in surgical patients: results of the Eole study.Crit Care Med. 2002; 30: 368-375
- Early-onset pneumonia after cardiac arrest: characteristics, risk factors and influence on prognosis.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2011; 184: 1048-1054
- Attributable mortality of Stenotrophomonas maltophilia bacteremia.Clin Infect Dis. 2002; 34: 1653-1656
- Stenotrophomonas maltophilia infections in a general hospital: patient characteristics, antimicrobial susceptibility, and treatment outcome.PLoS One. 2012; 7: 18
- Update on infections caused by Stenotrophomonas maltophilia with particular attention to resistance mechanisms and therapeutic options.Front Microbiol. 2015; 6
- Stenotrophomonas maltophilia ventilator-associated pneumonia. A retrospective matched case-control study.Infect Dis. 2016; 48: 738-743
- Risk factors for late-onset nosocomial pneumonia caused by Stenotrophomonas maltophilia in critically ill trauma patients.Clin Infect Dis. 2002; 35: 228-235
- Risk factors for mortality in patients with nosocomial Stenotrophomonas maltophilia pneumonia.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2009; 30: 1193-1202
- Outbreak of Stenotrophomonas maltophilia on an intensive care unit.J Hosp Infect. 2013; 85: 303-307
- Antimicrobial susceptibility of Gram-negative organisms isolated from patients hospitalised with pneumonia in US and European hospitals: results from the SENTRY Antimicrobial Surveillance Program, 2009-2012.Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2014; 43: 328-334
- Ventilator-associated pneumonia caused by potentially drug-resistant bacteria.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1998; 157 (PubMed PMID: 9476869. Epub 1998/02/26. eng): 531-539
- Central venous catheter and Stenotrophomonas maltophilia bacteremia in cancer patients.Cancer. 2006; 106: 1967-1973
- Attributable mortality of Stenotrophomonas maltophilia infections: a systematic review of the literature.Future Microbiol. 2009; 4: 1103-1109
- EUCAST expert rules in antimicrobial susceptibility testing.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2013; 19: 141-160
- Antimicrobial susceptibilities of a worldwide collection of Stenotrophomonas maltophilia isolates tested against tigecycline and agents commonly used for S.maltophilia infections. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2010; 54: 2735-2737
- Impact of initial antimicrobial therapy in patients with bloodstream infections caused by Stenotrophomonas maltophilia.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2005; 49: 3980-3981https://doi.org/10.1128/AAC.49.9.3980-3981.2005
- Clinical and microbiologic outcomes in trauma patients treated for Stenotrophomonas maltophilia ventilator-associated pneumonia.Pharmacotherapy. 2011; 31: 338-345
- The Association between Empirical Antibiotic Treatment and Mortality in Severe Infections Caused by Carbapenem-Resistant Gram-Negative Bacteria: A Prospective Study.Clin Infect Dis. 2018; 27: 1815-1823
- The Impact of Early Adequate Treatment on Extubation and Discharge Alive of Patients With Pseudomonas aeruginosa-Related Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia.Crit Care Med. 2018; 46: 1643-1648
- Co-infection of Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Stenotrophomonas maltophilia in hospitalised pneumonia patients has a synergic and significant impact on clinical outcomes.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2017; 36: 2231-2235
- Risk factors for relapse of ventilator-associated pneumonia related to nonfermenting Gram negative bacilli: a case-control study.J Infect. 2008; 56: 319-325
The manuscript was written on behalf of the OUTCOMEREA study group listed in the appendix.