- •Novel methodology using linked data to estimate the hospital burden of RSV.
- •Detailed estimates of RSV-associated admissions and bed days in infants in England.
- •RSV-associated admissions peaked in infants aged 6 weeks.
- •RSV-associated admissions peaked in infants born September to November.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Infection
- The burden of respiratory syncytial virus infection in young children.N Engl J Med. 2009; 360: 588-598
- Global burden of acute lower respiratory infections due to respiratory syncytial virus in young children: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Lancet. 2010; 375: 1545-1555
- Global, regional, and national disease burden estimates of acute lower respiratory infections due to respiratory syncytial virus in young children in 2015: a systematic review and modelling study.Lancet. 2017; 390: 946-958
- Estimating the burden of respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) on respiratory hospital admissions in children less than five years of age in England, 2007-2012.Influenza Other Respi Viruses. 2017; 11: 122-129
- Epidemiology of laboratory-confirmed respiratory syncytial virus infection in young children in England, 2010–2014: the importance of birth month.Epidemiol Infect. 2016; 144: 2049-2056
- Preventing severe respiratory syncytial virus disease: passive, active immunisation and new antivirals.Arch Dis Child. 2014; 99: 469-473
PATH. RSV Vaccine Snapshot - PATH Vaccine Resource Library [Internet]. 2017. http://www.path.org/publications/files/CVIA_rsv_snapshot_final.pdf.
- Understanding respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) vaccine development and aspects of disease pathogenesis.Expert Rev Vaccines. 2016; 15: 173-187
- Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) disease - new data needed to guide future policy.J Glob Health. 2015; 5020101
- Assessing the burden of influenza and other respiratory infections in England and Wales.J Infect. 2007; 54: 530-538
- The burden of influenza in England by age and clinical risk group: a statistical analysis to inform vaccine policy.J Infect. 2014; 68: 363-371
- Modelling estimates of the burden of respiratory syncytial virus infection in children in the UK.BMJ Open. 2016; 6e009337
- NHS Digital, 2016 (citedDec 23]. Available from)
- A new laboratory-based surveillance system (Respiratory DataMart System) for influenza and other respiratory viruses in England: results and experience from 2009 to 2012.Euro Surveill. 2014; 19
- Studying seasonality by using sine and cosine functions in regression analysis.J Epidemiol Commun Health. 1999; 53: 235-238
- The recognition and estimation of cyclic trends.Ann Hum Genet. 1961; 25: 83-87
Office for National Statistics. Population Estimates for UK, England and Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. 2011. Available at: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/populationestimates/datasets/populationestimatesforukenglandandwalesscotlandandnorthernireland.
Office for National Statistics. Population Estimates for UK, England and Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, Mid-2011 and Mid-2012. 2013. Available at: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/populationestimates/datasets/populationestimatesforukenglandandwalesscotlandandnorthernireland.
StataCorp. Stata statistical software: release 13. College Station, TX: StataCorp LP.; 2013
- Defining the epidemiology and burden of severe respiratory syncytial virus infection among infants and children in western countries.Infect Dis Ther. 2016; 5: 271-298
- Burden of paediatric respiratory syncytial virus disease and potential effect of different immunisation strategies: a modelling and cost-effectiveness analysis for England.Lancet Public Heal. 2017; 2: e367-e374
- Factors influencing women's attitudes towards antenatal vaccines, group B Streptococcus and clinical trial participation in pregnancy: an online survey.BMJ Open. 2016; 6e010790
- A highly potent extended half-life antibody as a potential RSV vaccine surrogate for all infants.Sci Transl Med. 2017 May 3; 9: eaaj1928
- Incidence of hospitalization for respiratory syncytial virus infection amongst children in Ontario, Canada: a population-based study using validated health administrative data.PLoS One. 2016; 11e0150416
- Risk factors for hospital admission with RSV bronchiolitis in England: a population-based birth cohort study.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e89186