- •Delays in childhood vaccinations may be able to be traced back to birth.
- •In this study,fewer than 50% of babies who missed the birth dose of hepatitis B vaccine were fully vaccinated at age 2.
- •It is important to develop patterns of timely vaccination to prevent serious downstream consequences.
- •Medical providers should start talking with parents about childhood vaccinations long before a woman becomes pregnant.
Abbreviations:AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics), ACIP (Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices), CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), DTaP (Diphtheria, Tetanus & acellular Pertussis), HepB (Hepatitis B Virus), Hib (Haemophilus influenza type b), IPV (Inactivated Poliovirus), MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella), NCIR (North Carolina Immunization Registry), NV (“not vaccinated at birth”), PCV13 (Pneumococcal Conjugate), RV (Rotavirus), VAR (Varicella), YV (“vaccinated at birth”)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Economic evaluation of the routine childhood immunization schedule in the United States.in: Proceedings of the 45th National Immunization Conference Washington DC. 2011
- Vaccination coverage among children aged 19–35 months – United States, 2015.MMWR. 2016; 65: 1065-1071
- 2020 Topics and objectives: immunizations and infectious diseases.(Accessed 19 July 2017, Available at:)
- Epidemiology of vaccine hesitancy in the United States.Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2013; 9: 2643-2648
- Parental refusal of pertussis vaccination is associated with an increased risk of pertussis infection in children.Pediatrics. 2009; 123: 1446-1451
- Measles outbreak in a highly vaccinated population, San Diego, 2008: role of the intentionally undervaccinated.Pediatrics. 2010; 125: 747-755
- Viral hepatitis surveillance – United States.(Available at)Accessed 6 April 2017)
- Increases in acute hepatitis B virus infections – Kentucky, Tennessee, and West Virginia, 2006–2013.MMWR. 2016; 65: 47-50
- Hepatitis B virus: a comprehensive strategy for eliminating transmission in the United States through universal childhood vaccination. Recommendations of the Immunization Practices Advisory Committee (ACIP).MMWR. 1991; 40: 1-25
- The prevalence of hepatitis B virus infection in the United States in the era of vaccination.JID. 2010; 202: 192-201
- A comprehensive immunization strategy to eliminate transmission of hepatitis B virus infection in the United States: recommendations of the advisory committee on immunization practices (ACIP) part 1: immunization of infants, children, and adolescents.MMWR Recomm Rep. 2005; 54: 1-31
Jenco, M. ACIP updates recommendations on HPV, HepB and MenB vaccines. AAP News. October 6, 2016. Available at: http://www.aappublications.org/news/2016/10/20/ACIP102016 Accessed 27 April 2017.
- Hepatitis B vaccination among children in inner-city public housing, 1991–1997.JAMA. 1999; 282: 1725-1730
- Association between administration of hepatitis B vaccine at birth and completion of the hepatitis B and 4:3:1:3 vaccine series.JAMA. 2000; 284: 978-983
- Recommended immunization schedule for persons aged 0 through 18 years – United States.(Available at:)Accessed 9 May 2017)
- Vaccination coverage among children aged 19–35 Months – United States, 2016.MMWR. 2017; 66: 1171-1177
- Flu vaccination coverage, United States, 2011–12 Influenza Season.(Available at:)Accessed 3 January)
- R: a language and environment for statistical computing. 2017; (Accessed 30 May 2017, Available at:)
- binom: binomial confidence intervals for several parameterizations. R package version 1.1-1.(Available at:)https://CRAN.R-project.org/package=binom(Accessed 30 May 2017)Date: 2014
- psych: procedures for personality and psychological research, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, USA.(Available at:)https://CRAN.R-project.org/package=psych(Accessed 30 May 2017, Version = 1.6.12)Date: 2016
- tableone: create "table 1" to describe baseline characteristics. R package version 0.7.3.(Available at:)Accessed 30 May 2017)
- The relationship between parent attitudes about childhood vaccines survey scores and future child immunization status: a validation study.JAMA Pediatr. 2013; 167: 1065-1071
- A mixed methods study of parental vaccine decision making and parent-provider trust.Acad Pediatr. 2013; 13: 481-488
- Reasons for refusal of newborn Vitamin K prophylaxis: implications for management and education.Hosp Pediatr. 2016; 6: 15-21
- Vaccine education during pregnancy and timeliness of infant immunization.Pediatrics. 2017; 140 (pii: e20163727Epub 2017 Aug 18)https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2016-3727
- National Immunization Survey (NIS) data for 2014.(Available at:)https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/imz-managers/coverage/nis/child/tables/14/tab03_antigen_state_2014.pdf(Accessed 19 July)Date: 2017
- A retrospective study of administration of vaccination for hepatitis B among newborn infants prior to hospital discharge at a Midwestern tertiary care center.Vaccine. 2015; 33: 2316-2321
- The relation of parent and provider characteristics to vaccination status of children in private practices and managed care organizations in Maryland.Med Care. 1999; 37: 44-55