- •Legionella is a clinically significant cause of severe LRTI in our centre.
- •Legionella pneumophila PCR testing enabled a rapid response to a LD outbreak in 2012.
- •Syndromic molecular testing identified severe viral LRTI during the LD outbreak.
- •Legionella species PCR detected several cases of Legionella longbeachae LD.
- •These would have been missed by L. pneumophila PCR/urinary antigen testing alone.
- Immunochromatic kits Xpect Legionella and BinaxNOW Legionella for detection of Legionella pneumophila urinary antigen have low sensitivities for the diagnosis of Legionnaires' disease.J Med Microbiol. 2012; 61: 213-217
- Current and emerging Legionella diagnostics for laboratory and outbreak investigations.Clin Microbiol Rev. 2015; 28: 80-118
- Distribution of Legionella species and serogroups isolated by culture in patients with sporadic community-acquired legionellosis: an international collaborative survey.J Infect Dis. 2002; 186: 127-128
- Infection due to Legionella species other than L. pneumophila.Clin Infect Dis. 2002; 35: 990-998
- Legionella longbeachae and legionellosis.Emerg Infect Dis. 2011; 17: 579-583
- Impact of routine systematic polymerase chain reaction testing on case finding for Legionnaires' disease: a pre-post comparison study.Clin Infect Dis. 2013; 57: 1275-1281
- Legionella longbeachae serogroup 1 infections linked to potting compost.J Med Microbiol. 2012; 61: 218-222
- Legionella spp. in UK composts-a potential public health issue?.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2014; 20: O224-O229
- Legionnaires disease in Europe, 2009–2010.Euro Surveill. 2013; 18: 20417
- Direct detection and differentiation of Legionella species and Legionella pneumophila in clinical specimens by dual-color real-time PCR and melting curve analysis.J Clin Microbiol. 2002; 40: 3814-3817
- Development and clinical evaluation of an internally controlled, single-tube multiplex real-time PCR assay for detection of Legionella pneumophila and other Legionella species.J Clin Microbiol. 2003; 41: 4016-4021
- Multicenter comparison of molecular methods for detection of Legionella species in sputum samples.J Clin Microbiol. 2007; 45: 3390-3392
- Utility of real-time PCR for diagnosis of Legionnaires' disease in routine clinical practice.J Clin Microbiol. 2008; 46: 671-677
- The occurrence of Legionella species other than Legionella pneumophila in clinical and environmental samples in Denmark identified by mip gene sequencing and matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2012; 18: 1004-1009
- Clinical application of a multiplex real-time PCR assay for simultaneous detection of Legionella species, Legionella pneumophila, and Legionella pneumophila serogroup 1.J Clin Microbiol. 2013; 51: 348-351
- Public health response to an outbreak of Legionnaires' disease in Edinburgh, United Kingdom, June 2012.Euro Surveill. 2012; 17: 20216
- The effect of a large Legionnaires' disease outbreak in Southwest Edinburgh on acute and critical care services.QJM. 2013 Aug 28; 12: 1087-1094
European Legionnaires' Disease Surveillance Network (ELDSNet). EU case definition for Legionnaires’ Disease: Commission Decision of 28 April 2008 amending Decision 2002/253/EC laying down case definitions for reporting communicable diseases to the Community network under Decision No 2119/98/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council. ECDC www.ecdc.europa.eu.
- Rapid and sensitive method using multiplex real-time PCR for diagnosis of infections by influenza A and influenza B viruses, respiratory syncytial virus, and parainfluenza viruses 1, 2, 3, and 4.J Clin Microbiol. 2004; 42: 1564-1569
- Rapid and quantitative detection of human adenovirus by real-time PCR.J Med Virol. 2003; 70: 228-239
- Comparison and evaluation of real-time PCR, real-time nucleic acid sequence-based amplification, conventional PCR, and serology for diagnosis of Mycoplasma pneumoniae.J Clin Microbiol. 2003; 41: 4366-4371
- Diagnosis of human metapneumovirus and rhinovirus in patients with respiratory tract infections by an internally controlled multiplex real-time RNA PCR.J Clin Virol. 2005; 33: 306-311
- Investigation of bronchoalveolar lavage, sputum and associated specimens. UK standards for microbiology investigations.2014 (B 57 Issue 2.5)
- Cluster of Legionella longbeachae cases in Scotland in September/October 2013.Health Protection Scotland, 2014 ([Report])
- Enhanced detection of Legionnaires' disease by PCR testing of induced sputum and throat swabs.Eur Respir J. 2014; 43: 644-646
- Comparison of the sensitivity of the Legionella urinary antigen EIA kits from binax and biotest with urine from patients with infections caused by less common serogroups and subgroups of Legionella.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2009; 28: 817-820
- Increasing the sensitivity of the BinaxNOW Legionella urinary antigen immunochromatographic test by additional readings at later time points.J Med Microbiol. 2012; 61: 884-885
- Qiagen DNA extraction kits for sample preparation for Legionella PCR are not suitable for diagnostic purposes.J Clin Microbiol. 2002; 40: 1126
- Quantitative real-time PCR tests for diagnostic and prognostic purposes in cases of legionellosis.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2010; 16: 379-384
- Legionnaires' disease in Europe 2007–2008.Euro Surveill. 2010; 15 (pii=1949)
- Cluster of Legionnaires' disease cases caused by Legionella longbeachae serogroup 1, Scotland, August to September 2013.Euro Surveill. 2013; 18 (pii=20656)
- Health Protection Scotland (HPS) Weekly Report. Vol. 47. 2013 (No. 2013/38 p331)