Objectives. To employ a combination of phenotypic and genotypic subspecies typing methods to aid in an epidemiological investigation of an outbreak of Salmonella bredeney involving ten persons.
Methods. Isolates were characterised by employing antibiogram typing, in addition to two genotyping techniques, including pulsed field gel electrophoresis (PFGE), random amplification of polymorphic DNA (RAPD) with two oligonucleotide primers.
Results. An outbreak of gastroenteritis associated with S. bredeney (serovar O:4 H:Lv 1,7) occurred in Belfast, Northern Ireland in November 1997. In total, ten cases were confirmed, of which eight had consumed chicken cooked at local butchers and retailed through one of two local bakeries. One of the remaining cases was secondarily infected within her home and the final case had eaten a product other than cooked chicken from one of the bakeries. Food preparation practices were inadequate in one of the bakeries in question and record keeping and possibly cooking procedures were inadequate in the butchers. S. bredeney was isolated from an uncooked chicken supplied to the butchers confirming that improperly cooked chicken was most likely the source of the outbreak. All outbreak clinical isolates were indistinguishable from each other and were similar to the isolate obtained from the uncooked poultry demonstrating that these DNA-based methods were valuable in the molecular characterization of S. bredeney.
Conclusions. This report emphasises the importance and maintenance of an effective hazard analysis critical control point (HACCP) approach to the processing and retailing of foodstuffs containing chicken in order to help eliminate hazards to public health.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Infection
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Salmonella serotypes recorded in the PHLS Salmonella dataset.Comm Dis Rep. 1999; 9: 103-104
- Clinical presentation and treatment of a Salmonella bredeney epidemic in Shelby County, Alabama.South Med J. 1999; 92: 799-801
- Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Disk Susceptibility Tests; Approved Standard-Seventh Edition, M2-A7. National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards, Wayne, Pennsylvania2000
- Interpreting chromosomal DNA restriction patterns produced by pulsed field gel electrophoresis: criteria for bacterial strain typing.J Clin Microbiol. 1995; 33: 2233-2239
- Molecular characterization of Irish Salmonella enterica serotype typhimurium: detection of class I integrons and assessment of genetic relationships by DNA amplification fingerprinting.Appl Environ Microbiol. 2000; 66: 614-619
- Optimization of RAPD for fingerprinting Salmonella.Lett Appl Microbiol. 1997; 24: 243-248
- Investigation of a nosocomial outbreak of Pseudomonas aeruginosa pneumonia in an intensive care unit by random amplification of polymorphic DNA assay.J Hosp Infect. 1995; 30: 125-131
- Analysis of Salmonella serotypes from selected carcasses and raw ground products sampled prior to implementation of the pathogen reduction: Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point Final Rule in the US.Int J Food Microbiol. 2000; 30: 107-111
- Pathogen reduction and hazard analysis and critical control point (HACCP) systems for meat and poultry, USDA.Vet Clin N Am Food Animal Practice. 1998; 14: 151-164
- Epidemiology of avian diseases.Acta veter Hun. 1997; 45: 267-280
- A multi-state outbreak of Salmonella bredeney food poisoning: a case control study.Aust N Zeal J Public Health. 1998; 22: 552-555
- Control of the rechnic for recovery of E. coli K12 after acquisition of R factors. Tests with various culture substrates under different mating conditions.Annali Sclavo; rivista di microbiologia e di immunologia. 1977; 19: 993-1001
- Salmonella bredeney mastitis during pregnancy.Obstetr Gynecol. 1982; 6: S29-S30
- Outbreak of food poisoning due to Salmonella bredeney.Revista de saude publica. 1985; 19: 92-93
- Clinico-epidemiological analysis of an outbreak of Salmonella bredeney in newborn infants.Revista chilena de pediatria. 1979; 50: 81-88
- Prevalence and persistence of Salmonella in broiler chicken flocks.J Vet Med Sci. 1999; 61: 255-259
- Antimicrobial resistance and R-factor transfer of salmonellae isolated from chicken carcasses in Greek hospitals.Int J Food Microbiol. 1998; 40: 197-201
- The occurrence of salmonellae in domestic fowl in Slovakia in 1971–1980.Veterinarni Medicina. 1984; 29: 113-119
- Human meat-borne salmonellosis: epidemiological reflections on a bacteriological survey of the butchers' shops of a large town.Revue d'epidemiologie, medecine sociale et sante publique. 1975; 23: 445-461
- Salmonella Serovars isolated from feedstuff and poultry feeds in Brazil.Pesquisa Veterinaria Brasileira. 1998; 18: 21-27
- The incidence and antibiotic resistance profiles of Salmonella spp. on Irish retail meat products.Food Microbiol. 2000; 16: 623-631
© 2003 The British Infection Society. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.