Osteoarticular infections in prosthesis material are entities mainly caused by Gram-positive bacteria and, particularly, those of the genus Staphylococcus.
1.Generally, when treating this type of etiology, the drugs used are beta-lactamic, glycopeptides or a combination of quinolones or cotrimoxazole and rifampicin.
- Muñoz P.
- Bouza E.
Acute and chronic adult osteomyelitis and prosthesis related infections.
Balliére's Clinical Rheumatology. 1999; 13: 129-148
2.The problem arises in patients who are allergic or show resistance to these antibiotics or when only parenteral administration is possible. In view of this, a new class of antimicrobials, oxazolidonones, has become, in recent months, a possible alternative for the future. More specifically, linezolid, given its oral bioavailability, sometimes prevents unnecessarily prolonged hospitalization periods. To date, very few cases have been published concerning its efficacy in long-term treatment. A case of infection of knee joint prosthesis by Staphylococcus epidermidis treated with linezolid is described below.
- Mader J.T.
- Wang J.
- Calhoun J.H.
Antibiotic therapy for musculoskeletal infections.
J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2001; 83: 1878-1890
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Infection
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Acute and chronic adult osteomyelitis and prosthesis related infections.Balliére's Clinical Rheumatology. 1999; 13: 129-148
- Antibiotic therapy for musculoskeletal infections.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2001; 83: 1878-1890
- An instructional course lecture. The American academy of orthopaedic surgeons. Evaluation at treatment of infections at the site of a total hip or knee arthroplasty.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1998; 80: 910-922
- Infecciones en huesos y articulaciones con prótesis.in: Mandell G.L. Bennet J.E. Dolin R. Principios y práctica en enfermedades infecciosas. 5th edn. Libermed, Montevideo2002: 1451-1456
- Linezolid Pharmacia Corp.Curr Opin Invest Drugs. 2000; 1: 181-187
- Pharmacokinetics and tissue penetration of linezolid following multiple oral doses.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2001; 45: 1843-1846
- Linezolid Drugs. 2000; 59: 815-827
- Linezolid and reversible myelosuppression.JAMA. 2001; 285: 1291
- Linezolid: a review of its use in the management of serious Gram-positive infections.Drugs. 2001; 61: 525-551
- Posibles indicaciones futuras de linezolid.Enferm Infect Microbiol Clin. 2002; 1: 54-58
© 2003 The British Infection Society. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.